Currently, due to the health crisis, the Jules Verne workshop has had to adapt and now offers a single option. The 3 previously offered raku internships have been combined into one option.
The option 3 in 1
DISCOVERY • ADVENTURE • EXPLORATION
Wonderful initiatory, festive and joyful day to explore the world of Raku. A strong and friendly adventure to live together.
You are about to live an extraordinary experience discovering arts of fire and ceramic
Come discover an ancestral technic of Japan from the 16th Century and share convivial and warm moments to enter the raku world!
The magic of raku is offering itself to you, for a day or a weekend. You’ll leave with enameled and fired sculptures as well as with fantastic memories. A wonderful adventure.
A myriad of parameters influence the firing, and results can variate infinitely, resulting on truly unique creations!
During your internship, open to all adults independently from their level – beginner, intermediate, advanced-, you’ll be initiated to the following steps:
- Presentation of enamel technics, transformation of colors and cracking.
- Preparation, apposition and drying of the enamel.
- Loading in the gaz kiln, raku and naked firing.
- Removing of the kilt when the 1000°C limit is reached.
- Smoking that will reveal the twitching of the enamel and cleaning.
- Discovery and exhibition of your creations along with exchanges about the results and final effects.
The raku firing are convivial and celebratory days… We share breakfast together, with everyone bringing specialties to share together. You can also bring your own meal and eat it inside or outside.
During the firing, you will enjoy « rest times » to relax in the garden or in the « friendly clays » space of the workshop, where everyone can enjoy a tea or a coffee, read books about sculptures and ceramic, for even more conviviality around creation.
These times of rest, meditation and conviviality are ideal to get inspired and create.
If you wish to have a tonic sea bath, the Jules Verne workshop is located just a few kilometers away to the wonderful beaches.
Among the highest of Europe, their high cliffs of white chalk covered of grass are a wonderful visual show. You can also discover our amazing Normandy countryside.
Reservation and registration
- All internships demand registration, as the number of sports is limited:
- 3 people at least, 4 maximum due to the current health crisis of Covid 19. It is recommended to reserve well in advance!
- The schedule can change depending on the number of suscriptions and weather conditions.
- Internships are scheduled all year long to share the raku adventure.
- See the section ‘NEWS – Calendar – INTERNSHIPS – Options’. Do not hesitate to consult.
9am to 6pm
- 150 € per person (raw material included) for 4 pieces already « bisquited », furnished by the workshop. You will leave the same day with your mug bowls or raku cups.
- 8 € additional for each added piece.
Internships throughout the year to share this adventure of clay and fire.
TO registrer your option 3 in 1
DISCOVERY • ADVENTURE • EXPLORATION
It’s very easy!
All classes demand registration as there is a limited number of spots.
For options 1 and 2 – raku internship, you have to mail your completed following registration form signed, along with the deposit check. Please read carefully the internal rules of the Jules Verne workshop.
• Plan clothes that are not fragile and suited for the activity (pants, clothes made of coton with long sleeves, good shoes, etc.)
• No creation made outside the Jules Verne workshop will be accepted.
• Only with reservation: the Jules Verne workshop isn’t accessible to the public outside classes hours. I work there on my creations and personal projects. Your collaboration is much appreciated in advance.
Of course you can call me and ask me all your questions about your internship and your stay in Normandy. Do not hesitate to do so. I would be delighted to answer your questions.
Please note that some changes have taken place this year:
The options 1, 2 or 3 below are no longer relevant now but will most certainly be offered again.
Choose the option 1, 2, or 3
Just choose the option that suits you!
TO REGISTER, IT’S VERY EASY:
For options 1 and 2 – raku internship,
you just have to mail your completed following registration form signed, along with the deposit check. Please read carefully the internal rules of the Jules Verne workshop.
For options 3 – raku internship,
- Contact me by phone or email to establish a cost estimate.
- Once the estimation accepted, download and complete the following registration form. Then mail it signed, along with the deposit check. Please read carefully the internal rules of the Jules Verne workshop.
Option 1: Raku Internship: The discovery – One day
This option of internship is ideal to experience raku for the first time, and go back home with enameled and fired sculptures. Three creations are furnished by the workshop – Raku bowls for the tea ceremony will be chosen and decorated.
- Internship for 3 to 6 persons maximum, during an entire day.
- Open to everyone: beginners, intermediate, advanced.
- From Thursday to Sunday. Dates are offered all year long. See section NEWS – Calendar – INTERNSHIPS – Options.
- Lunch inside or outside depending on your preference.
10am to 5pm.
- 75 € per person (raw materials included) for three pieces already ‘bisquited’.
- Special prize of 65 € for students of the Jules Verne workshop for three of their creations made at the workshop and of reasonable size.
- 8 € additional for each added piece.
Option 2: Raku Internship – The Raku adventure – Two days or a weekend
An intense and convivial adventure to live together in a the spirit of sharing symbolized by the four elements: earth, fire, air and water.
- This option of internship is ideal to raku for the first time, and go back home with enameled and fired sculptures. Four pieces already « bisquited » at the workshop will be choose from, decorated and then fired.
- Will discuss enamel technics, transformation of colors and cracking.
- This internship, for 3 to 6 persons maximum, lasts two days: the last Thursday and Friday of each month, or the very first week-end of the month.
- These dates are offered all year long. See the section ‘NEWS – Calendar – INTERNSHIPS – Options’.
- Open to all adults independently from their level: beginners, intermediate, advanced.
- Lunch outside or inside depending on your preference.
10am to 5pm, for two days.
- 150 € per person (raw material included) for 4 pieces already « bisquited », furnished by the workshop.
- Special prize of 140 € for students of the Jules Verne for 4 pieces made at the workshop -size not exceeding 30 cm.
Option 3: Raku Internship – The Raku exploration – Tailored – 3 days – 5 days or more
Wonderful initiatory journey over several days to explore the world of raku by making their own sculptures and creations (30 cm height limit).
- This internship is centered around experiences and try-outs. It allows you to take the necessary time and to give « time to time » in order to discover the timeline of the different steps of creation of a sculpture for a raku firing.
- I guide and oriente you in the making of a sculpture adapted to the level of everyone.
- This tailored option will be adapted in accordance to everyone’s personal project. I can advice you, just call me to talk about it together.
Initiation to the different steps:
- You will discover raku and naked raku.
- The making of potsherds of your enamel color palette.
- Teaching of different technic of modelling sculpture (masse, plate, colombin, print, etc.) with the help of specific tools (roll, cleat, chisel, trimming tool, etc.)
- Drying of the pieces – Please plan several days to weeks for allowing creations to dry.
- Your pieces will be glazed latter on if you want (first firing), then processed to the raku firing during another internship.
- Choice of enamel color palette and enameling of the pieces.
- Preparation of the enamels and enameling of the creations by learning different technics (soaking, brush, pear, wax).
- Application and drying of the enamel.
- Loading and raku firing and naked raku.
- Unloading out of the kiln.
- Smoking and cleaning.
- Discovery and analysis of the results.
Hours are adapted to your project and the number of days.
Some afternoons can remain free to visit the wonderful surrounding region.
- An estimation will be made relatively to your project and the number of days.
- For those that are coming back, topics will evolve, get personalized and individualized – that’s how you become a Raku passionate!